Monday, November 8, 2021

Isaiah's Missionary Letter "Crazy Elections"

So this week was kind of crazy. Elections was going on here in South Africa and everyone is going crazy about it. We go with some other Elders to a lesson with this gogo (grandma) who loves the white missionaries. After our visit we go to leave. As we are driving away, there are people in the street and this big bus that has flags of one fo the political parties here all over it. These people have me pull over to allow this bus to come through. As soon as the bus got through they then put large rocks in front and behind us trapping us in on the road. All the people kind of surrounded our car yelling in zulu so I have no idea what was actually said. Thankfully there was a little dirt road off to the side so I quickly backed up just a little and skirted on the dirt road to get out of there. Had a close call with that one. We actually met the guy who has his poster up everywhere. He is just running for mayor for Newcastle. He said that his political group is all peaceful, then we had that experience with almost having our car trapped by that same political group. So very friendly and peaceful people, that just wanted to block our car in. 

So right before elections started happening covid disappeared and the restriction level went to level 1. But now everyone is saying that since elections are over that it's getting really bad again and that it will have to go back up to maybe level 4, which is when we were in lock down. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but that is the rumor that is going on around here. We have planned for this Sunday to baptize these two sisters. There names are Samu and Ezmerelda. They are about 9 and 12 years old. They also have asked that I baptize them as well. So this Sunday will be the first time that I actually baptize someone on the mission. So this is going to be a really exciting week. 

For pdays recently we've been getting both districts here in Newcastle together to play sports. So the district split at transfers, so now I am district leader over Madadeni, then the other district is in Newcastle/Osizweni. But we get all of us together and we either play, basketball, American football, rugby, or soccer. Half of the Elders are from America, and the other half is from Africa, so it's always a debate on what sport we play. But it's been a lot of fun when we get everyone together for that. It actually makes pdays ten times better since there isn't anything to do here. I also bought a ukulele here mostly because every Elder has one, but because it's actually fun to play. So far I've learned Here comes the Sun, Tears in Heaven, Fast Car, and the beginning of Better Together. So I need more songs to learn on the ukulele if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. 

Elder Leuck

No comments:

Post a Comment