I am officially here in South Africa. I am in Newcastle area in a smaller town called Madadeni. It's about a 4 hour drive north from Durban. I am with Elder Elkin and he is from San Diego. He has been out for 6 months and has been in SA for 3 months. Most people in my area speak broken english and most speak Zulu. Unfortunately the President of South Africa put the country in stage 4 so we cant do anything in person for two weeks. Hopefully they will change that soon but covid cases here are getting really bad again. We cant really do zoom calls because people don't have enough data to do it or they just don't have a phone. Most of what we can do are a few calls to those that have phones but lessons over the phone never really work out here. I have been told that even outside you have to wear a mask or they will arrest you. South Africa is crazy diverse. Outside of India, South Africa has the largest Indian population. Then in Durban you get these crazy big houses, Ferrari dealerships, nice restaurants, then to what they call are townships which are litteral makeshift sheds made from mostly anything on the side of a road. Our mission is pretty big, but there are only 62 Elders in the mission currently. There are no sisters because it's apparently too dangerous for them. The first day I got here they did orientation and one of the things they did with us was we had to drive. South Africa drives on the left side of the road so I got to practice doing that. Drivers in South Africa are truly crazy. Taxis will stop in the middle of the road and pull over across three lanes just to drop someone off or pick someone up. So far I have seen a bunch of monkeys, antelopes, and a couple ostriches. Our mission President told us all about the game parks here and how you can get in the cage with a large Male lion. Unfortunately we cant do that now because a lion bit an Elder and he had to go to the hospital. But hopefully soon we can go visit and see Africas big 5. I don't have any photos right now because I dont have my phone. Sorry about that We have to share a mission phone between the companionship. But this place is awesome and I cant wait to get the ball rolling here.
No comments:
Post a Comment