Monday, August 23, 2021

Isaiah's Missionary Letter "Say no to Maas"

I guess I will start with the story of Maas. So maas is sour milk. It doesn't sound good and I can say that it really isn't. We go visit this member on friday and after she brought out some pap. So at first I was thinking we would have pap and beans, but no. She wanted us to try this South Africa delicacy. You have a bowl of pap, pour in some maas, and add some brown sugar to make it this sweet snack. Well she made us a giant bowl of this. What's the worst is watching the maas come out because it's like that one tv commercial where the family has thus chunky milk and they make sure everyone gets some because they love it. Well that's what mass looks like. At first glance, this doesn't look appealing at all. Then you try it and at first you are like, it's not that bad. Then you have more and your trying not to gag. I tried to eat it fast but for one pap fills you up fast and it was hard to keep it down. I probably got half way done when my companion started giving the excuse that he was too full and that we just ate before we came and visited her. It was true but we still felt bad that we didn't finish. Plus we also tried a little glass of just maas and that was worse. At least with the pap and brown sugar it was a little sweet but plain don't ever try🤢. The sister who made it for us told us that this was the dish that's he grew up on and always had. Sorry but I just cant do that. I added a photo of what it looks like. Just look, don't try. Also another funny story was that there was this party going on at one of the neighboring flats at where we stay. So they had braai (pretty much a bbq) and they use charcoal to cook. Well after they were done and completely wasted from their drinks they tried to clean up. Well they had the charcoal and so they decided to throw it in the trash can. Well the charcoal must have still been burning because by the next day the garbage can was completely melted. I also included a photo of that. So there was that. Then the area that I am currently in right now is a little sketch compared to others area in the mission. There is one spot where some people will stand with shovels and cups for money begging for anything saying "just two rand, please." Unfortunately we cant really do anything about that to help. But one time we were coming back that way and this guy chased after me for a couple seconds. So that was interesting. We cant give them money because if we did then they will stop us every time and demand money from us. There are plenty of stories here of missionaries being mugged and robbed so the only thing we do is keep riding past them. So this week has been weird. The weather I think plays a part. One day is really hot, the next is cold, then its thunder and lightning. The South African Elders in our district tell us all the time that anytime the whether is like this nobody wants to do anything. So it's been difficult with getting lessons with others. Peoples excuse is that they are just busy. Even if busy is them trying to warm up in their house. But I guess that's something we just have to deal with. Siyanda is the boy that we have been teaching, and probably this next week we will actually have a day planned out for him for his Baptism. That's if the weather is better. But the take away from this week was to say no to maas. It's not worth it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment