Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Allergies Stink!

Connor is a champ!  He went through another tough round of allergy testing which is never any fun.  They did more than 30 different tests which means more than 30 different pricks on his back which caused a lot of swelling and itchiness.  They also did a blood test so they could be extra sure that the skin tests were accurate and there was one good change.  Although his peanut and shellfish allergy remained extremely high, his mollusks allergy went down to nothing which means… we’re making Clam Chowder!  On the flip side, his dust allergy tripled.  Uggg!  I guess we can’t win them all.

We were sad that his peanut allergy remained so high, but the Dr. was very impressed that his body can tolerate to be around peanuts.  For years, John and I have made sure that he was exposed to peanuts/tree nuts, so his little body could get used to them.  We never fed him nuts, but we eat peanut butter and nuts in the house all the time (we didn’t do it as much when he was younger and of course we are still very careful to wipe down surfaces).  We’ve always known there would be no way to control any environment outside our home, I mean really… how can I stop a kid from opening a snickers bar behind Connor on the bus?  … or is he never going to be able to go to a baseball game because everyone in the stadium is eating peanuts?  That wasn’t an option for us and so far I think it’s been a real blessing for his body to tolerate being around those items.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment